Sunday 15 September 2013

Beautiful Treasures: Iolite

I had my first crack at making a treasury list on Etsy today and was surprised how long it took. At least half an hour devoted solely to browsing gorgeous handmade things, you can imagine my distress!

I had the idea to build a series of treasuries devoted to the unsung beauties of the gemstone world. Maybe 'unsung' is the wrong word. Perhaps I just mean gemstones that I can't get enough of.

I started with iolite as it has always been one of my great favourites. I love the way that the colour shifts from inky indigo to honey brown depending which angle that you look at it from. I also love that Vikings used this colour shifting property as a way to navigate the seven seas. I can just imagine a great hulking sailor peering through a rough made spyglass with a chunky faceted iolite for a lens.
                                                     

Iolite ring,silver iolite ri...
$65

Labradorite, Iolite and Fres...
$40

Romantic pink mystic quartz ...
$32

Earrings with Lampwork Glass...
$38

Cascade Iolite Earrings, Lon...
$57

Iolite blue quartz earrings ...
$39

Velvet....... Sterling Silve...
$40

Iolite Necklace with Karen H...
$98

Bib Necklace Iolite Necklace...
$63

Gemstone and Sand Dollar Nec...
$16.5

Rose Cut Iolite Stud Earring...
$55

Iolite Briolette Drop Earrin...
$42

Blue Gemstone Earrings, Viol...
$64

Boli shah. Amethyst labrador...
$49

Sterling Silver Pendant with...
$38

Iolite Sterling Silver Neckl...
$40
 
 I also can't help but share my own recent design with iolite, a bracelet that mixes it up a bit with some of my other favourite gemstones:
 
 
 
Ingredients:
  • Iolite
  • Watermelon Tourmaline
  • Amethyst
  • Peridot
  • Sterling Silver
  • Thai Karen Silver
 
I haven't yet decided which unsung beauty to concentrate on next time. Perhaps yellow fluorite, or maybe Botswana agate, or moss amethyst...I'd welcome suggestions!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment